Articles, Blog

Employing Children in the entertainment industry – An Overview

Hi, I’m Umi. We all know kids
are natural performers. Give us a blanket
and a shampoo bottle and we’ll create some magic. # Lah! # But if you need us
for any advertising or entertainment purposes,
and we’re under 15 years of age, you’ll need a permit. Why? Because it tells the government that
you’re doing the right thing by us. There are a number of things you
need to make sure you’re on top of. Like safety, supervision, risk management, tutoring and working hours. This includes
both paid and unpaid work. This all comes from the
Child Employment Act and the Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children
in Entertainment. These were both designed
to help kids, like me, be able to do the work we love, while still being safe
and well looked after, and to ensure that our roles
are appropriate and don’t interrupt our education. The good news is there are changes that make it
easier and less costly for employers to comply. We made sure to ask people like you
how to improve things, and that’s exactly what we did. There’s a new online system
for applying for permits and once you fill it out,
the permits are free. Just make sure you have
everything you need to show that I’ll be safe at work, including permission
from my mum and dad. Also, if you need some help, you can always speak to my friends,
the Child Employment Officers. They’re really smart and will
make sure you’re well looked after. Just go to Or call 1800 287 287 OK, I’m ready for my close-up. Maybe not THAT close!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *