Articles, Blog

Actors Who Stopped A Movie From Getting Made


Imagine you’re the star actor of a major motion
picture. There may be days when the idea of facing
the public is too much, but with millions of dollars at stake, there’s going to be a
lot more drama if you want out of the project altogether. Here are some times when an actor actually
stopped a movie from getting made. Yes, it’s true, Dude, Where’s My Car? almost got a sequel. “Dude, what does mine say?” “Sweet, what about mine?” “Dude, what does mine say?” “Sweet, what about mine?” As far back as 2002, Fox has been trying to
get a second Dude movie off the ground, according to IGN. Tentatively titled Seriously, Dude, Where’s
My Car?, the picture would follow Ashton Kutcher and Sean William Scott as they, one can only
assume, get really high and try to find their car. As you might recall, Kutcher got kind of big
there for a second, starring in a number of blockbusters like No Strings Attached and
What Happens In Vegas. With his plate so full, Kutcher kept turning
down the Dude sequel. But don’t lose all hope, according to The
Independent, he said in 2016 that the sequel could still happen. If you’re a millennial, you probably have
a special place in your heart for Mrs. Doubtfire. It was the ridiculously successful, universally
heartwarming, and retrospectively odd story of a middle-aged man who disguises himself
as an elderly woman to circumvent a court order to stay away from his children. “He’s half man, half woman.” “WHAT!” There wasn’t much that Robin Williams couldn’t
make amazing, and the picture did gangbusters business at the box office. It’s no surprise the studio wanted a sequel,
but according to Worst Previews, the film’s star kept turning down the project, citing
problems with the script. However, time and boatloads of money wear
down the mightiest of mountains. According to Entertainment Weekly, by spring
2014 Williams had reportedly changed his mind and said he was ready to give the character
another go. Sadly, his tragic death in August of that
year put an end to the project for good. At some point, everyone has considered how
much money it would take to get them to do something embarrassing. “So I’m here now, I found you, Daddy.” For Will Ferrell, the answer is apparently
“more than $29 million.” Elf was something of a surprise hit when it
was released in 2003. It managed to grab a hefty chunk of cash at
the box office, eventually pulling in over $200 million on a $33 million budget. Obviously, the studio felt like the only logical
follow-up was to sign the man-child actor up for a sequel. And then, according to The Guardian, Ferrell
said no. It’s a shocking move, but even after he was
offered $29 million to put the tights back on, Ferrell had no interest in the project. His reason? He didn’t want people to think he was doing
a bad sequel just for the money. John Travolta used to be hard to beat at the
box office. A young superstar in the ’70s, he rebounded
with a surprise comeback in the mid-’90s, breaking $100 million at the box office with
Pulp Fiction, Phenomenon, and Face/Off over a four-year span. Studios were drooling all over him, so expectations
were high when Travolta teamed with Roman Polanski on a new picture called The Double,
set to shoot in France. According to Entertainment Weekly, Travolta
reported to the set and seemed ready to film all summer, even going so far as to send his
personal jet back home. But after rehearsing for just a few days,
the Saturday Night Fever star picked up and left. According to Travolta, one of his children
needed a minor surgery and he wanted to make sure he’d receive the best care available. But the star’s absence was a blow the production
couldn’t bounce back from. The film folded and a contentious legal battle
erupted, according to The Guardian. The production company sued Travolta, and
it took five years before the lawsuit was settled out of court. Back in 1992, Shock jock extraordinaire Howard
Stern had just appeared at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards as National Lampoon’s Fartman,
a satirical character whose various subtleties you can probably figure out from the name. Stern’s high-profile costumed appearance on
the show drummed up a decent amount of interest in a Fartman movie. New Line in particular was especially hungry
for more, agreeing to an informal deal with Stern to produce a big screen adaptation of
the Fart Knight. But in 1993, Stern put a stop to production,
according to Entertainment Weekly. He became frustrated with New Line for refusing
to give him the go-ahead on an R-rated script. Stern bowed out, swearing that this wasn’t
the last we’d see of Fartman. And that’s the last we saw of Fartman. Check out one of our newest videos right here! Plus, even more Grunge videos about your favorite
stuff are coming soon. Subscribe to our YouTube channel and hit the
bell so you don’t miss a single one.

37
Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *